Thursday, May 20, 2010

Small Changes Make a BIG Difference


Hello Lovely Readers!

I hope you are doing well! I have had a challenging past two weeks filled with overscheduling, stress, and other not-fun-stuff. Ever have that feeling like no matter how hard and long you work, you just can't get caught up? That is where I was at, but things have shifted now. Not because my to-do list magically disappeared (I wish!), but because I made some small changes.

First, I returned to writing my morning pages more faithfully. Second, I made up my mind that I can return emails and voice mails within 24 hours, as opposed to 24 minutes.

Lastly, I started a new ritual of taking a 30 minute mini-retreat each morning, an idea Zahra Efan listed in her most recent newsletter. This fits easily into my schedule because I always make my first appointment of the day at 9:30am. Usually I would spend the first half hour of my day checking email, returning voice mail, etc. Now I just wait until later in the day. Sounds simple, but it has made a BIG difference!

Ideas for a 30 minute mini-retreat:
  • Meditate
  • Sip coffee or tea
  • Read a book
  • Browse a magazine
  • Practice yoga
  • Listen to music
  • Write in your journal
  • Play in your visual journal
  • Take a walk
  • Sit outside and soak up some sun
  • Go to the library (there is a library right next to my office!)
  • Head to a coffee shop or bookstore
The ideas are pretty endless! It has been so divine to start my day with something that brings me joy! It feels a little rebellious too! I tend to operate from the "work first, play later" model so this morning mini-retreat is a real break from the mold for me! My days are unfolding in a much more relaxed flow since I started this morning mini-retreat. That is the paradox of self-care: when you take time to care for yourself you are more efficient and effective.

The image above is from Anna Corba. Not only does she craft gorgeous creations - she holds yoga and collage workshops in Sonoma and France - two of my favorite destinations!!!! I must attend one of them at some point - I am adding to my life's to-do list!

Have a great Thursday! And consider taking a mini-retreat today!

No comments:

Post a Comment