Monday, July 30, 2012

Determining the Value of our Work



It’s no secret that I absolutely adore what I do for a living.

And I’m pretty darn good at it too.

Recently I realized something is out of alignment and I’m guessing I’m not the only person struggling with this.

A few key events have helped me see that I’ve been undervaluing myself. (This article helped too. As well as my dear husband very bluntly telling me it’s crazy to give away my services for free.)

I realized that the danger in loving your work so much that you’d do it for free is that sometimes you end up doing just that! 

Furthermore, when our work allows us to use our true strengths it often feels easy. In fact, this is a sign that we are doing our right work. I truly believe this but at times I still tend to get stuck in the if-it's-worth-anything-it-can't-come-easy mentality. For me this translates to undervaluing myself and undercharging for my services. Yuck!  

So I'm off to reevaluate how I monetize my gifts, services, and products. Care to join me? Share your thoughts on worth and work in the comments below or on my Facebook page. I love hearing from you!



image credit


P.S. I definitely believe in pro bono offerings. But I’m learning now that they need to be intentional. Otherwise I risk draining my energy and becoming resentful of the gorgeous peeps I work with. So if you are considering giving away your time and talents for free I strongly encourage you to take some time and outline what your ideal pro bono gig looks like. 

P.P.S. For more on this topic check out Tara’s The Art of Earning or my friend Dani’s The Evil League of You.    

No comments:

Post a Comment